Chinese (Mandarin) Bilingual
The English-Chinese Bilingual Program at Meadowlark School was established in 1992. The program is designed to provide children an opportunity to learn the Chinese language, in addition to the regular curriculum and to experience the richness of both western and eastern cultures. Students in the program study the provincially approved curriculum with approximately fifty percent of instruction in Chinese.
The school has adopted an integrated approach which facilitates social and academic interaction with students in the English only program. Entrance into the program is available to all children at the Kindergarten and Grade One level. Students are not required to have prior knowledge of the Mandarin language.
Chinese (Mandarin) Bilingual provides students with opportunities to acquire and maintain language skills in both Chinese (Mandarin) and English.
- Develop language and literacy skills in Chinese (Mandarin) and English, and use both to communicate
- Learn about Chinese culture
- Proficiency in English and Chinese
- Improved academic achievement
- Improved skills in the student’s first language
- Knowledge and appreciation of different cultures
- International language certification opportunities
- To register in Kindergarten or Grade 1, no previous knowledge of Chinese (Mandarin) is required.
- Students entering the program after Grade 1 are considered on an individual basis.